Who should attend?
All persons who will be required by their employer to work on high speed roads, running mobile hard shoulder (or non-live lane) operations using an IPV and for protecting and installing static temporary traffic management.
We deliver courses in classrooms at our training centres, and you can also attend online courses from the comfort of your own home/office if you are only sitting the classroom part of the course. When choosing a date below it will state "ONLINE" for online courses.
You must select a course date first!
To provide delegates with the necessary knowledge to enable them to operate an Impact Protection Vehicle safely, and in line with legislation. Course delegates must hold the appropriate HGV category on their driving licence. To drive in live lanes the candidate must also pass a live lane assessment on a separate day/night. This can be booked separately by calling our office on 0800 1577010.
On completion of the session delegates will be able to:-
- be aware of the sector scheme documents
- be aware of the general health and safety requirements at work as well as those, which are specific to the traffic management industry
- understand the importance of risk assessments and method statements for traffic management activities
- be aware of the reference documentation used for traffic management
- know the requirements for an impact protection vehicle as described in the relevant reference documents
- be able to conduct pre-work checks on an impact protection vehicle
- understand the procedures used for protecting the installation of a static temporary traffic management taper
- understand the procedures used for protecting mobile hard shoulder operations
- understand the extent of their duties after achieving this card
- understand the different types of work that are beyond the scope of this training and require full mobile lane closure techniques to be implemented
- demonstrate they have sufficient underpinning knowledge required to be an IPV driver
- prepare an IPV ready for working on the hard shoulder
- arrive on site and set up the operation correctly
- operate to safe working procedures including hazard and junction negotiation
- remove the operation correctly
Successful learners are awarded a Lantra Awards / CSCS Smart Card upon completion of the end of course multiple choice exam, and their non-live lane assessment.
Certification is charged for separately if you pass the course, it is not included in the course fee. The cost is £60+vat